View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Super gas/comp/Street forums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
No, we go on cruise at the same time, just at a lower RPM. Because we run a lower RPM we don't have to be on the stop as long. Like anything else it depends on what the car likes. We've run it on 540 and 565 engines. I'm not sure it would work well on a small block.
If two identical cars have the same cruise RPM, the one that goes on the stop quicker should have more top end MPH.

If two identical cars go on the stop at the exact same time, the one with the lower cruise RPM should have more top end MPH.

My personal guidelines are:

1. The 'stop on' time should be just high enough for the car to cut a light.

2. The cruise RPM should be set so that the car can at least clear the 60' beam while on the stop every pass in any weather conditions.

There will be other things to consider in each case. Some cars may need to be WOT a little longer at the start to work the chassis properly. Some cars may come off the stop cleaner with a little higher 'stop on' RPM than absolutely necessary.

I run oddball combinations in both of my cars, so I can't always use these principles but I use one of them in each car.