View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: torque wrench recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron b View Post
I need a new 1/2'' drive torque wrench. looking for some recommendations. I was on the snap on site and there are a lot of different models. thanks ron
I worked for the Navy Dept. at Indian Head Naval Weapons Center, Maryland calibrating precision tools for over 18 years before retiring. The most accurate is the old Sears Craftsman "Beam" torque wrench. I do not know it they are made in America these days. Been retired for 15 + years. They held the accuracy forever it seemed unless they were used for a hammer. The "Click Clicks" are good from Snap On but most people forget to return the setting to zero after the are done using it and that kills the spring inside. Its can be adjusted to a point but the lead on the end of the handle needs to be melted out and then you need a torque wrench calibrator. Several thousand dollars like the one we used in our lab. Other wise its a throw away. I have seen the click click types being off by 20-25 ft. lbs. Some guys were blowing engines up because of inaccurate torque wrenches. Even some of the fuel funny car guys back in the 70's had junk torque wrenches as I proved to them. They are precision tools....use them as such.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 01-28-2018 at 01:04 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote