View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Time to Revisit the Super Times?

First of all I think there is need for a 7.90 class so to some extent I agree with Chris and I don’t see anything wrong with top dragster as it is.

This would make people (also known as NHRA employees), (not to be confused with the guys working their asses off for minimum wage at the track) think, and make decisions. Not going to happen. Along with others (racers) who will stand in line to complain, any change hardly seems worth it in our complacent society”

Why should the NHRA change anything? They continually fill their quota for super classes at their national events and have even more super class cars at the divisional events?? As long as racers value Wallys more that money nothing will change.

Again, eliminate the electronics, and we don't have this problem. And I am in FULL agreement with you, that the current method that people use to race their cars drives the fans away in droves. I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for that comment, as I can already see the "the problem is that the tracks don't educate the fans" rebuttals coming. Again, simple solution. Eliminate the electronics, create a 7.90 class, and competitors will start leaving the line at near full throttle again, and SOME of the fans will return (and believe me, I'm not naive enough to think that the .90 classes will EVER generate the fan interest that the nitro categories do)”.

I made the mistake of suggesting something similar a while back and you would have thought I had sexually assaulted someone’s mother!

“In Division 2, NHRA runs 10.0, 11.0 and 12.0 index classes along with Lucas Oil events. They are lots of fun and have essentially "Nostalgia Super Class" rules - no timers, no delay boxes, pro tree, heads up with a breakout. Those classes have a loyal following but won't grow rapidly unless they NHRA phases out the throttle stop classes. But they do attract new racers who have absolutely no interest in Super class racing and would not be spending their money and weekends at the racetrack otherwise.”

Super class racing before throttle stops, was more fun and [U]less expensive.[/U

]“So, all that said, am I going to lead the charge for the ban on all electronics? Absolutely not. I've relegated myself to the fact that these classes are NOT going to change in MY lifetime, and that if I want to race, I can either accept these classes the way they are and enjoy myself while I compete in them, or find other classes to race.”

I too have learned to accept these classes they way they are.

"My only hope is that at some point in time in the future people start to see the REAL issues with these classes, drop their own personal agendas, and work towards the betterment of the sport. But, that will be something my kids can
campaign for, as I'll be in a nursing home or dead by the time any of that happens
".

I share this hope but I am not optimistic either

Last edited by Bill Baer; 12-08-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote