View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield
Default Re: Time to Revisit the Super Times?

• A person has two choices: spend about as much as a new Honda civic and run SC, or spend six figures and run TD.
I don't think that's quite accurate, as I'm building a new S/C dragster right now, and complete, it's not going to be a $20,000 affair. I'm guessing that rolling, I'm going to have AT LEAST $27,500 in the car. Last time I checked, Civics weren't $45K+ complete.

• The HP choices are 750 and 1750, nothing in between.
Not true. 750hp if you don't want to run a throttle stop in S/C and are content at 8.90 @ 148 mph, which I doubt you would be. My guess is that it's probably closer to 950hp and 1750hp, but if you want to be in-between, you are welcome to do so and either add more time to your throttle stop, or go bracket racing so that you can go faster.

• A motor in the 1000-1200 range that just two years ago would have been the cat's meow is little more than a boat anchor.
Hardly in S/C. In T/D maybe. Sorry, that's how it goes when you want to run with the big boys (and though YOU may not consider T/D or T/S the big boys, I certainly do from my perspective).

• There's no place in the world for a big naturally aspirated motor.
Untrue again. Sonny's just released a 1000 cid naturally aspirated motor. All you need to do is pony up the $100K for it, and you can go mountain motor Pro Stock racing with it. That said, the times are definitely changing, and if you want to go FAST, you had better start looking at nitrous, turbos, and superchargers.

• The genius who decided that a time of x.90 regardless of how confusing that is, was the right and that can never be revisited.
Of course not. But, this is hardly a major issue. Can it be changed? Sure. Should it have been 11.00, 10.00, and 9.00 to begin with? Probably. Should we change it now after 30+ years of running it the way it is? I think these classes have bigger problems.

• Classes established years ago when just meeting the index was considered a good accomplishment can't be changed even though people commonly run 1.5secs under that.
Untrue again. 30+ years ago when these classes were created we didn't have a problem meeting the indexes. The difference was that we didn't have electronically controlled throttle stops that allowed the arms race to start in these classes. The indexes can certainly be changed, but the indexes aren't the problem, the electronics are. Get rid of the electronics, add a 7.90 class, and your problem is solved.

• The only choice is cars that run on the stop for 1/3rd of the pass and drive fans away in droves.
No, you can CHOOSE to run YOUR car any way YOU want. But again, I think it is well proven that running your car for the top end charge has a competitive advantage over other throttle stop configurations. But, feel free to knock yourself out entertaining the fans with full-throttle launches and a down-track throttle stop setup.

Again, eliminate the electronics, and we don't have this problem. And I am in FULL agreement with you, that the current method that people use to race their cars drives the fans away in droves. I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for that comment, as I can already see the "the problem is that the tracks don't educate the fans" rebuttals coming. Again, simple solution. Eliminate the electronics, create a 7.90 class, and competitors will start leaving the line at near full throttle again, and SOME of the fans will return (and believe me, I'm not naive enough to think that the .90 classes will EVER generate the fan interest that the nitro categories do).

• That the arms race is over and the $$ won.
Hardly. But, if that's what you believe, then perhaps you should save your money and stay home, or bracket race at your local track.
  • It's just frigging broken. I don't care how many comics of a dead horse you guys post, it's stupid.
I completely agree with you. It is broken, and it is stupid. But, lowering the indexes is NOT going to FIX the problem, it's just going to exasperate it! Let's say we lower the S/C index to 8.00. Do you think everyone is going to be content running 7.60s flat out? Of course not! Those that can afford it, will immediately go out and start building a better motor so that they can run 7.0 flat out, hold more, and have the higher mph car. Those that can't afford it will slowly improve their cars to do the same.

Over the course of time, your typical S/C dragster will have on average a 1,300 hp naturally aspirated motor in it to be able to run 6.70s or 6.80s flat out. The cars will STILL sit for the first 1/3rd of the run on the throttle stop, we STILL won't have any fans watching, but now instead of $50,000 to field a competitive S/C dragster, it will be $75,000. Oh, and guess what, we'll STILL be racing for $1,000 to win from NHRA.

So, all that said, am I going to lead the charge for the ban on all electronics? Absolutely not. I've relegated myself to the fact that these classes are NOT going to change in MY lifetime, and that if I want to race, I can either accept these classes the way they are and enjoy myself while I compete in them, or find other classes to race. Sitting at home on my computer whining about it doesn't do me any good, as it just raises my blood pressure when I can't convince others to see it the way that I do. My only hope is that at some point in time in the future people start to see the REAL issues with these classes, drop their own personal agendas, and work towards the betterment of the sport. But, that will be something my kids can campaign for, as I'll be in a nursing home or dead by the time any of that happens.

Sincerely yours,

The Old Codger