View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: Hey Ford Techs! 2005 5.4L Ford striped spark plug

While not really a Ford guy, I recently have acquired some experience with these things, mostly in Ford Expeditions, F150 and F350 pickups. The 5.4 isn't exactly the hardest pulling thing you ever drove, especially in an F350. We only had one blow out a spark plug, and it went back to the dealer on warranty. I work for the City of Los Angeles Department of General Services, Fleet Services division. What we have are an epidemic of engine misfires caused by antifreeze and water getting on the coils, migrating down the spark plug well, collecting there and shorting out the secondary ignition, especially on the passenger side cylinder bank. This is caused by failure of the connectors on the two heater hoses.Coolant leaks under pressure from these points and drips directly onto the coils. The yellow light comes on, the SCAN tool comes out, and the P0300 Engine Misfire codes are displayed, by cylinder.The first time one of the guys had to tune one up, he was screaming bloody mayhem and murder at it. That's the most difficult to work on truck I ever have seen. I had to replace an engine in a 2003 F350 with a new crate engine, and that got the award in the shop as being the year's nastiest job . There's a secret warranty on the head threads, but they obviously don't want you to know that so they can get paid twice for it. Who else but a dealer??
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote