View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 12:11 PM   #70
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts
Default Re: What factors Determine Tow Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
Have to disagree completely, I wouldn't think twice about a modern half ton truck towing that amount of weight. They have way more brake now, way more tire which lets the brakes really work, ABS that actually works without locking up tires, way more gears in the trans, heavier duty trans, heavier duty rear axles, tow/haul modes for the trans that really help via engine braking, fantastic OEM trailer brake controllers, trailer tire pressure monitoring. More capable than what a 3/4 ton truck was not long ago. Now I wouldn't feel comfortable with over 6 tons behind one like they advertise them being capable of, but 3, oh yeah, they'll do that very well.
I agree.
I recently made 2 trips to the track with my 2011 f150 4wd and the 5.0 Coyote engine.Towed great, braked well and got 15 mpg.
While the trailer was 5,000 lbs with car, the brakes on these newer trucks are far superior today than 1/2 tons from the 80's.

On the flip side, there's no way I would feel comfortable pulling my 7,500 lb. enclosed with the same 1/2 ton even tho Ford "rated" it for more.
That's what I have an F350 for

Last edited by ALMACK; 09-24-2018 at 12:15 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote