View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #61
Dan Lattimore

Liked 158 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: What factors Determine Tow Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Dan, from a local trailer dealer. Back in about 2008. I told the guy at a trailer & trailer parts dealer here what I wanted to do. I had trouble blowing out the 15" "trailer rated" tires that. And on it. Had 5 lug wheels, like a car. Found they were speed rated at 65 MPH. The speed limits on the many toll roads here is 75 MPH. I had a diesel motorhome until recently that I just set the cruise control, it ran the speed limits like the trailer was not back there. Ignorant me, I was not aware of the tire speed ratings. Blew out a few. SMH
The trailer parts guy told me I needed to put 16" wheels on it, to get the load ratings & speed ratings I need to run the speed limits. Same 8 lug wheels & tires as my 2500 Suburban. Tows so much better. The original trailer tires & our 1/2 ton Tahoe towed it, but not nearly as stable as the 3/4 ton Suburban & better tires.
Had to buy the whole assembly for each trailer wheel. Four bolts holds each to the end of the trailer axle. You will see the difference first time you tow it. I thought the 1/2 Ton Tahoe and 15" trailer tires were fine, until the first trip with the new stuff. Safer & more comfortable on windy days, also on 2 lane roads with 18 wheelers. I have the same 16" Michelins on the trailer as the Suburban. They use 65 psi. Same 8 lug wheels.
Hey Ed ---- Thanks for the great info, exactly what I've been wanting to do. --- Danny