View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
Dean Oliver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Arkansas Drag Racers Hall of Fame

Last year, a racer and fan from Arkansas named Bear Brantley helped start the Arkansas Drag Racers Hall of Fame. To be nominated, information regarding the racer's history and accomplishments must be submitted for review by the selection committee. There are only 5 racers selected each year, so I'm sure the selection committee has had a difficult time narrowing the list to that number in each of the first two years. It is amazing how many great racers are from this state. I know that some of the names are more locally know than others, but I bet that many of you will recognize at least some of these guys.

The 2017 HOF class includes:
- Dwight Southerland
- Robert S. "Bob" Ayres
- Dwight Cox
- Ray Sullins
- Mike Heim

The 2016 HOF class includes:
- Dennis Oliver
- Jack Mullins
- S. E. Buchanan
- Bill "Maverick" Golden
- Joe Ralph Thompson

The HOF is kept at The Speed Shop in Little Rock, which is owned and operated by Steve Haynes and Leonard Lamia. If you are ever in the area (located right off of I-40 at the Crystal Hill exit), stop by and check it out. There's a lot of history there, including pictures, trophies, and even the SS/C Corvette that Dwight Southerland used to drive.

Congratulations to all of these guys. There is a long list of accomplishments (and a whole lot of Wallys) among these racers!

Dean
Dean Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote