View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Ian Hill

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Centering a rearend in a stock supspension Chevelle 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallye bob View Post
That's what adjustable lower control arms are for..........
i run 30" tall rubber (295/60/15). i have seen where most 66/67 chevelles not only have the rear end shifted to one side (about 1/2 to 3/4") but also have the rear forward on the passenger side about 1/4 to 3/8". i have trimmed the wheel wells to only have 3/8 clearance and dont seem to have any issues with rubbing unless i go to quick around a corner (side wall rubbing - inside left and outter right...only when turning right).

As far as using the adjustable lowers to move the rear end. i would only use the adjustment in the lowers to align the rear end so the car tracks perfect, then use the adjustability with the length to center the tires nicely. then adjust the tops to match, set your pinion angle and i have added a hotchkis 1 3/8 anti sway bar to the rear. i do not use the rubber mounted bars that attached to the control arms, i use tie rods, mounted on the inside of the ends of the sway bar that mount straight up to tabs whelded to the bottom of the upper control arm crossmember. i add 1/2 to one turn of pre load raising the right side of the car. this has made the car launch straight without holding the steering wheel to the 330! now it was only a I/CM running 1.38 60's and 11.05/ 119 but it worked for me.

if you plan on using the adjustments in the lower control arms to center the wheels in the wheel wells, the use the upper to adjust pinion angle and tracking, i figure you will be creating a bind.

Ian
Ian Hill is offline   Reply With Quote