View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #2
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts
Default Re: Sad that this is happening

It does appear to be the end of an era, but I don't know if it's what I would call sad. Lots of things have come and gone in drag racing, and the sport just moved on. I don't think anyone would disagree that Pro Stock has lost its way, but I think the sport in general has become far less relevant to the average young American man or woman that it used to be. What's been lost is the history of drag racing, and from that, the ability to put the sport in context. None of the young people participating today have much of a sense of where the sport came from, so it exists in the present, rather than having any historical foundation. The average 60 year old vividly remembers the beginning years of Pro Stock, and that memory "connects" today to the past. When a Pro Stock race takes place today, the 60 year old is unconsciously thinking "Oh man, I remember when Grumpy raced Ronnie Sox, and this is still a lot like that", where the young person of today just sees two Pro Stock/Pro Mod/Top Sportsman/Everything Looks the Same cars fly down the track, oftentimes driven by young people who never actually even work on the car. In the hero days of Pro Stock, it was man against man, hero against hero, because each car literally represented the brains, creativity, hard work and driving skill of the owner. Those days are gone, never to return, and the guys that miss them most are the guys who remember how incredible Pro Stock was.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote