View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
Paul Merolla

Liked 230 Times in 56 Posts
Default Re: Heated Driveways???

Doug - I'm a mechanical contractor and have installed quite a few snowmelt systems...I don't claim to know everything, but have learned what works and what doesn't. As long as you're okay with the energy cost involved, I think you would really like it. The air in the lines is purged out when we pump in the glycol - one circuit at a time, we pump out of a container and leave the drain valve open with a hose running into the same container. Just run the pump until the bubbles stop coming out of the drain hose, and move to the next circuit.
One issue that we deal with is unrealistic expectations. People don't understand that the system will have a hard time melting snow when it's 2* outside with a 30 mph wind. As Sean said, the systems at hospitals have an almost limitless supply of BTUs. If we sized residential systems to melt at any conditions, we'd never sell any.
If you're interested, you might try calling WattsRadiant and asking if they have a rep in your area. That's the brand of tubing, manifolds, etc. we use and their rep is very knowledgable about the systems and local contractors who know how to install them.
Paul Merolla is online now   Reply With Quote