View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
cal

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cal
Default National Championship and Grade Points.

Hello All
Just food for thought.
Is this the new norm?
7 & 8 grade points to get into a National event.
There goes the chance for the budget racer to even think about a National Championship.
I believe at one time a budget race could have done well at 5 Divisional and 3 Nationals events and came in the Top 10 or even win a National Championship.
Now a racer that normally goes to 5 or 6 divisional can't even get into a National event.
The traveling sportsman, Pro's will now have a better chance at winning a Championship.
How is this good for the Sportsman Racers?
Now I have nothing against the guys and gals that can go to 8 plus divisional, and 5 plus Nationals. Guys & Gals that race 2 cars at every race they go to get double the points! This is what they have choose to do, and can afford to do.

"But what about the little guy"?

I personly know, I most likely will never run for a National Championship, I will however hopefully be able to try and run for a Divisional Championship again someday.
(that is unless I hit the Lotto)

NHRA needs to figure out how to balance this situation out.

Should NHRA only allow racers from the National Events Home Division to enter for the 1st couple weeks at a lower grade point system?
Example Say they open up VMP to Division 1 racers with a grade point of 5 or 6 2 weeks before opening to all division at grade 8?
Could this help the local budget sportsman races, that can't travel more then 3 or 4 hours to race?

Just food for thought
Cal SST 1177
cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked