Thread: '66 Malibu N/SA
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

I'm inching along a little further, the vent tube is ready once I get the correct fitting, and the line from the fuel cell is in. I will trim off the vent tube so that about 1/2" protrudes, then the four bolts hanging there will attach straps that capture a rectangular piece of foam to protect the vent from any debris going in. Probably overkill, but I prefer it that way.

I also measured for tire clearance. It looks to me like either 5" or 5.5" backspacing would work for a 10" wheel (assuming a 9 x 30 tire), but I think 5" will center the tire better. On the other hand if I start with 5.5" backspace I can always use spacers to adjust. So I'm still on the fence a bit there.

I tried installing the rear sway bar, it's a 1" bar of the general sort the factory used. It's a UMI Performance piece, same company as made the control arms I'm using. But it doesn't seem to quite fit, it appears to be about 5/16" too wide. I'm leaning towards just returning it and getting the H and R Parts sway bar. It's more expensive (that's why I originally went with the stock type) but it should circumvent the current problem, and it sounds like they work better anyway.

Last edited by Dave Muller; 07-07-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote