View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 10:33 PM   #1463
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Went in and worked on the motorhome for a couple hours this morning then went down to work on the engine. Had some little things to wrap up, swapped distributor gears, timing pointer didn't fit so had to chop it down, fixed some little stuff and loaded it on the dyno. Got it fired up, no leaks, checked the timing and started breaking in the cam. Stopped after 5 minutes to cut the filter open to check and found some water in the oil, found a pair of rocker studs leaking water (my fault), did a quick fix then pulled the distributor and flushed some oil through with the primer. We've always had some issues with the headers on the passenger side being cooler by a fair amount, the worst being #8 sometimes over 100 degrees cooler than the hottest on the left bank and this time it was the same and all the right side plugs looked terrible so I decided at this time to swap carbs with a spare I bought here. Fired up to finish breaking in the cam and it was instantly noticeable it was running better, headers are all very close in temp now and the plugs looks good too. Finished breaking in the cam then when we removed the rockers to swap on the 1.5s we pulled all the studs and resealed them as a precaution. Installed the 1.5 rockers and left it for the night so the sealer sets up, we'll leak it down in the morning, change oil and start making power pulls.