Thread: PRI Show
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #32
Jesse Kershaw

Liked 120 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: PRI Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Turk View Post

The water pump attached to my engine that does not require block modifications was a recent add to my car and is essentially also the same as the car Leah runs. I believe the Cobra Jets actually use a truly remote water pump that they were factory equipped with in the latest SC combination. I have seen zero performance delta from this water pump versus the one run on the 530 HP configuration but I switched because it is the one used in the 540 HP.
The 2016 Cobra Jet's came with the remote mounted water pump. It's actually a Ford production piece from a CMax. Because this was a “gray” area in the rulebook we sent NHRA pics, specs, and part numbers throughout the development process to ensure it was “Stock” legal.
To your point there wasn’t a performance benefit beyond being able to cool your engine without it running not different than a secondary motor on a belt driven pump.
I have no skin in the game regarding the Dodge, only replying to give history on the CJ pump. But I do think that concerns about content after-the-fact could be minimized if the submission process were updated to include steps for strategic intent, peer review, and final approval. I had proposed this several times to NHRA over the last few years.