View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 01:21 AM   #1
DeuceCoupe

Liked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default 1966 nhra c/s=9.50 where are the Chevelles?

As I continue to study and crunch the numbers of the era, the 1966 C/S class (9.50 w/p) is always in focus - home of the 390 Fairlane, the 442-6v, the GTO-6v (and ram air later in the year) - and even a 406 Galaxie here and there.

A few cars raise some questions:
* The L72 Impala wagon looks like it would have been a good combo. My guess is there weren't any! ???
* The 1963-406 Ford did well, but to me the 1964-427-8v looks even better, at least 0.2 sec quicker. Did anybody run this combo and how did they do?
* I can see why the Mopar 383/343 combo did well (it was kinda underrated) and took class in the 66 Nationals in C/SA. I guess the Mopar 3-speed stick was just not competitive in C/S? And of course, I remain a little confused about how this combo was allowed - did the factory really build the 383/343 or was it one of those "over the counter" deals - I thought those couldn't run in Stock any more?

FINALLY - in C/S, where were the Chevelle 396/360 L34 cars? The convertible was heavy enough to make the class and that would have been Chevy's best entry in this popular class - C/S was really the "Muscle Car" class that year. I cant find any et/mph for any of these cars, and only some vague info that maybe a few folks ran one. You'd think Chevy would be all over the place in just about every class?????
DeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote