View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #20
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: stock and super stock racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by treessavoy View Post
While everyone is waxing how great the old days were let's look at the truth. It was simple...the guy that had the most money to put in their class car was the winner, if you couldn't run below or at the class record there was no reason for you to even go to the track unless you just liked to watch. Those of us that still went knew we were going to be out the first round if we ran into one of these guys.
If no killer cars were in your class you still had to run off the record when you went into stock eliminator, so you weren't going to win no matter what.....and that's why the change to index racing...to give more people a chance to race.

JimR
Very few "pro built" engines, about zero "pro built" cars. Anybody could bolt on slapper bars and 90/10 shocks. 95% of the fast cars were owner built. Until Stahl & Moroso came along, (they later split up and became Stahl & Associates, and Moroso) there was no place to buy trick parts. Jere Stahl had some of the coolest stuff I had seen at the time. Most everybody made things themselves. Most guys did their own engine back then. Some still do. Yeah, many slow guys cried it was all money, just like they do today. Not many of us had any back then. The "rich" guys had open trailers, the rest of us used tow bars.

That last sentance is what I meant about dumbing it down. You don't have to know anything or work very hard to be able run the inexes we have now. Unless you have a heads up it's just bracket racing. That's sad. Used to be performance based, no longer.

And before christmas trees, we did indeed run eliminators. A 25' per class head start, with a 250' max. My 225 hp 2X4 265" '56 Chevy got the same 250' head start, or spot, from D/S through A/S. Only race car I ever had that made money.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 11-03-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Still can't spell...
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote