Thread: Stocker build
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Stocker build

I'm just a "has been", who never was much. But, I love Pontiacs. So, this caught my eye. There's a LOT I don't understand about Stock racing today. So, I'd like to ask some dummy questions. Since it's the off season. maybe some of you guys will have time to offer opinions & maybe supply info I can't find.

If the info I found on the Class Racer Info site is correct, that '69 Cat wagon 400 2-barrel engine is rated at 290hp. Looks to me as tho you'd have to get NHRA to reduce that a LOT, to even be able to run the index. I'm guessing that nobody has ever tried to run this engine in a serious Stocker.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...6&MAKE=Pontiac

So, lets say he builds the car. What are the chances he could get the hp factor reduced to a reasonable number, and aprox how long would that process take ?

If he had to run the 2-barrel @ 290hp, looks like a 4-barrel 400 would be much more competitive. The 330hp '68 400's have done quite well, in Birds. And the low compression 400's from the mid '70's have also done quite well. And some of those can run the 800 Q-jets.

It would obviously be a lot easier to pick a body which can run an engine, with a good hp factor. So, I'd just like to hear some examples of guys that built a car which could only use an engine with a bad hp factor, then had good luck getting NHRA to quickly reduce the factor, enuff to allow the guy to get it down to it's index, without too much trouble.

All good examples will be appreciated. Thanks !

Last edited by oldskool; 11-29-2017 at 09:00 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote