View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts
Default Re: "Live from" Atco , NJ - NHRA Lucas Oil Series

As Ken posted earlier it was Tom Giardino who's car crashed Saturday night. I was standing on the starting line watching a few pair since my Dad was back in the pack. Tom went through the traps and not sure if something broke or what (not going to speculate as to what might have happen) but, the car made a strong hook right behind Jason and never got airborne and went straight hard into the wall at about 150mph. After that all I saw was dust and dirt but, according to a few people who were on the top end the car started to roll and went up and over the wall (right where the motorhomes and trailers are parked) and landed in the grass and caught fire. The fire burnt for a good minute or two before the truck got to him. The were able to get him out and the trucks rushed him away. After they called the race and told the S/G guys to go back for the night, we saw the life flight chopper land over the tree line and take back off. I heard he was in Cooper Hospital and I've heard many different stories so we all just need to cross our fingers and pray for him and his family.

This morning they ran the dryer up and down the track and the first pair out was Jeff Livezey Jr. and his Cutlass. Jeff told me when the car came off the stop it drifted towards the centerline and before he knew it he got out of it but, was already heading towards the wall. Some damage to the right front of the car but, it can be fixed. The next pair out was John Mag Sr. and a little red Nova and it was like watching a Top Fuel peddle fest as both cars were all over the track and post 11 and 12 second times. They then decided to bring the track dryer out and put some more heat in the track and glue it. They got about another 6 or 7 pairs down and Bernie Staub and Dave Bergfeldt raced each other. Dave went though the traps after beating Bernie and the car made a hard left and started to roll and ended upside down. Dave got out of the car but, at that time they called the race. Tough weekend for Dave as he is really good friends with Tom and had been helping him out at a few MASGA races this year. I guess we will see in 2 weeks...
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote