View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
Ben Holt

Liked 95 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: Question on SS/AH & AH/SM

We have, officially, been fighting this since the index was announced. We have a formal request into the NHRA to change the index to 9.05.
I agree that if modifications were allowed that the index would be ok, but the AH/SM rules are exactly the same as in Super Stock. They literally lifted the rules verbatim and placed them in Comp. So I don't see where, especially the top running guys (Wolkwitz, Daniels, Comella, Bucky, Hebert, Pancake, etc), would pick up at all running in comp. We run these things on the ragged edge every run, cooling, pushing as much as we can, etc. They are pretty much already comp cars. And they have been ran for 50 years, and have been ran like mini Pro Stock the last ten or so years. I don't see why someone like Gary or Jimmy SHOULDN'T be able to run .65 off the bat. These are refined combinations (a close example to me is someone like Bailey or Galbraith or Browell in D3) that should be a front running comp car. Now, I'm not saying they should be able to go .85 off the bat, but I believe if you qualify #1 in the Hemi Shootout at INdy, you should be a top 10 player in comp at the same race.

And in all honesty, what's the difference between a .3 under comp car and a .45-.5 under one? Not much. Most of the field (at least the fast guys) are .6 -.65 under capable. Maybe you can win a round or two, but you aren't really that fast. that's why 9.05 seemed fair to us.

But to answer the original question. If you have a legal SS/AH car, all you need to do is upgrade your license to have a Comp endorsement, and run the Sunoco spec fuel. That is all

Last edited by Ben Holt; 08-20-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Ben Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked