View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #94
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: Why is NASCAR Dying ? Video !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sst1226 View Post
I think that from a drag racing perspective, it’s alive and well despite how some perceive it. Whether you see the “golden age” or “good ole days” as the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s or 90’s etc, they are all snapshots in time and part of a continuing evolution of which we are all a part of right now. The landscape is changing and will continue to do so.
Regarding drag racing, I would argue that the perceived “decline” in participation in “insert class here” is due to three things:

1. The increase in options offered to someone who wants to go drag racing.

30 years ago, If you wanted to go sportsman drag racing you generally had these choices: Local Brackets, Stock/SuperStock, Comp/TAD/TAFC & .90 classes.30 years later, you still have all of those classes in addition to:The index classes 8.50/10.00/11.50 etc., Big $$ Brackets, Top Dragster/Sportsman, Outlaw 10.5/drag radial/small tire heads-up classes.There are more options for someone who wants to go drag racing now than ever and the period of time in which you first developed an interest in cars probably influences which class you gravitate to. I’m 38 and most guys around my age who are not 2nd gen. racers have more interest in the index and radial classes than in some of the more traditional classes.

2. The price of “admission”.

Classes that have existed for 30+ years also have a population of racers who have competed in them for that long & have that much time and $$ invested into their operation. As the classes evolved and became more complex and expensive so did they and rightfully so. Thus, the cost of purchasing or building a competitive car, with some exceptions increased with it, potentially shying away completely new participants. When I say completely new participants I don’t just mean a young “driver”, I mean someone who owns the car, the tow rig, drives both and knows how to fix them that isn’t 2nd or 3rd generation.

3. The increase in options competing for the general public’s attention.

The same argument for the decline of NASCAR/Drag Racing is being discussed about the NFL, Major League Baseball, Pro Wrestling, Live Music Venues, the music industry etc. and I think what’s happening is that information and entertainment can be had at people’s fingertips and there are more things competing for people's attention and so the need to all go out and congregate at a public event to be in contact with one another is not the priority it once was. I am not concerned that any of these forms of entertainment are on their deathbed. What I am convinced of is that they now consist more of a smaller niche group of people who are wholly committed to it, and that’s ok. Perhaps it’s the days of the “casual” fan or participant that are on the decline.
These are awesome point.
Added a few here...~

4. Rules restricting the new generation of cars from competing in S/SS.
5. Rules preventing S/SS cars from other associations from competing.
6. Excessive Safety Rules such as Helmet and Seat Belts.

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote