View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #4
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Is anyone else as surprised as I am?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
Here it is/was day one that Grade 1's are now allowed to enter into Indy, and neither Stock or Super Stock have full fields (7 vacancies in Super Stock, and an even more shocking 17 in Stock as Wednesday Aug. 8th has now ended)?

My question is if our country is so great now, then why is this a reality, when in most (if not all), of the previous years since the 180 limit quota was created, these two classes would easily be full by then? I don't recall any years this century where racers with only 1 Grade Point could enter the biggest drag race of the year???? Interesting....

Interesting thought process, Gary, but I personally don't think we can "connect the dots" on this one so easily. IMHO, I believe the answer to the question you raised is more "practical" than "economic" and I'll tell you why - while there may be openings for 180 competitors this year in Stock Eliminator, there will be at least 52 contestants who, after making the trip to Indy (and THAT logistical nightmare) will find themselves leaving with nothing more to show for their experience than a "I Went to the "Big Go" and all I got was this lousy T-shirt" T-shirt. And, yes, I know how "special" Indy is, and how everyone (including yours truly!) would love to be able to make just one pass down that hallowed quarter mile, if you really think about it, without the AHFS to regulate things (and we've discussed this topic many times before) anyone who has any doubts about their ability to run "well under" their Class Index is going to have to think long and hard about making that large a commitment. Maybe I'm missing something, but that seems to one "practical" consideration, don't you think?
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA