Thread: Ford drag team
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
Rusty Gillis

Liked 88 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Ford drag team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Racing View Post
What was traveling with Hubert like? Could you tell us some of what happened on that trip? thanks and I have that book by Morris too Does anyone know about Dicks Torino above? Could anyone recall the big S/S and Pro Stock meets back then?
I have a few stories I could tell about Hubert but I can't share them on a forum!!

Most of the time Hubert or Randy did not travel in the truck.

I first met Randy when I was on my way to Dallas for the Springnationals in 1969 towing my F/S 1969 Cobra. Randy was driving the big rig and passed us than pulled over he thought I was someone he knew that raced a Cyclone. He said if I needed anything to look him up. I broke a Detroit Locker and talked to Randy and he gave me one and that was the only thing I ever got from Ford. I went to Indy with a friend of mine and started talking to Randy and Hubert in tech and wound up traveling with them for a couple of months. I was not on the payroll but Hubert paid my expenses.

One funny thing happened at Indy I was with Randy and he said he knew a back way to the motel and we were going down this country road and he turned the key off and back on and the truck would back fire and the cows would take off running he thought that was so funny. He did it one too many times and blew the muffler off and now the next day the Ford Drag Team had to drive in to the pits at the US Nationals with no muffler and Hubert was not happy. We left Indy on our way to Detroit and Hubert was driving and stopping at every Ford dealer we went by looking for a muffler we did not find one until we got to Ford in Detroit.

We were in Dallas and Hubert had his 1969 B/A SOHC Mustang there and he asked me to take it alone back to his house in Atlanta. I got to his house early in the morning the next day and his wife cooked me breakfast. I stayed at his house a few times even had Sunday dinner with Hubert his family and brother Huston. Hubert also had me drive the F350 with the match race Mustang to Epping New Hampshire by myself. I will never forget those days.

On one of the trips with Hubert driving he told me about his 1968 Mustang that he had let Patti Young use after she had wrecked hers that he was selling for $3500.00. I called home talked to my Dad but we could not afford it than talked to my Grandfather and he said no but than my Uncle loaned us the money and the rest is history.