View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Default Re: life after Super Stock for the Hemi A-bodies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezinn View Post
i know that cars for Pro Stock were required to be only so old, so i understand why some cars were "updated" with later model sheet metal or trim. what about Modified Production? i'm curious too about the match race thing, were those cars classed or what is pretty much a heads up run what 'ya brung thing?

i'm also interested in when the tires started getting bigger and when did racers begin to tub and modify the rear springs and so forth for bigger tires. did this too happen around 1970 with the introduction of Pro Stock?

sorry if it seems like i'm asking some funny questions here. i'm 36 and wasn't around for this stuff but i'm very interested in it and want to learn about racing from the 70's and 80's era's and the cars, parts, modifications, etc.

Dave
I remember the tires on Grumpys 68 Carmaro and Sox's Hemi 'Cuda in Pro Stock during 1970 were 12.2 X 31.2 "W" size. I dont believe the 14 X 32's had been introduced yet at that time. Tubbbing the wheel housings for S/S wasnt allowed until a couple of years after all of the Jr. stocks were made to run S/S in 1972. You had to run a tire that fit the existing OEM wheel wells and no rear end narrowing was allowed but that rule was "Fudged" a lot in those days just as things are done today. The 10.5 tires were used a lot back then even on the 68 Hemi 'Cudas and Darts when new from Hurst Corp. You were allowed to move the rear leaf springs for clearance. OMG ! That was about 40 years ago !
Early Modified Production cars had to use 7 inch slicks. Match racing was a big deal back in the day as it was a major sorce of income for Dyno Don, Da Grump, Sox, Bob Glidden and all the rest when Pro Stock became popular. Usually anything was allowed for match racing such as large engines, weight removal, etc. They really didnt get into funny fuels like back in the old altered wheelbase days of 65/66. The fans loved it and its a shame match racing dosent happen today. I think they are missing the boat on this. When I first got Top Stock introduced I tried to arrange some match races of those guys but there was no interest from the local tracks or the racers it seemed. It would have helped promote the heads up concept in stock but its all accient history now.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 09-06-2010 at 03:03 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote