View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Trailer tire recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon340 View Post
Can you look at a tire and determine if you should replace at a certain point. I heard that there is a mark or a number that tells how old the tire is?
Or is there a good rule to follow? Like replace every 5 years just because of sitting 90% of the time?

Does leaving the trailer loaded and sitting out of the sun... such as car, tools, golf cart, etc. kill the life of the tire?

Thanks, Larry

Larry -

Every tire sold in the US has a serial number/date code stamped into the sidewall, for the very reason you're asking - "How old is this tire?" Tires often sit in a warehouse or on a dealer's racks for a long time before they are sold, so knowing the "build date" is a good idea, the fresher the better!

Obviously physical condition is the best indicator for replacement, but I've heard different advice on when the tire should be changed because of age. Ozone damage is a big factor in how quickly a tire decomposes, so keeping them cool and out of the sun is a great idea, and although radials don't flat-spot like the old bias-ply tires, taking the weight off them if you're going to be storing the trailer for a long time might be beneficial.

I've been using load-range "G" tires on my trailer with good service, making sure to check the air pressure frequently, as that seems to have the biggest affect on longevity.
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote