Thread: Plug wires
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
Angelo DiTocco

Liked 172 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: Plug wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Welch View Post
Thanks for the response's. I looked for signs of arcing in the cap and rotor button (looked clean) but I'll check rotor button height. The miss just developed it had been running good but I tried changing over to alcohol and had issues. I blamed the miss on that so I went back to gas and it still had a miss. One thing of note the miss on alcohol seem to be more a fuel system issue (very bad missing would not go down track) the miss on gas seems to be a single cylinder. I ohmed the pick up coil (MSD dist) and it read good but unless it failed completely I guess it could read good? I'll start changing some of the old parts and see what happens. Thanks again I'll let you know what I find.
Hi Robbie,
Since you mentioned alcohol I'll share an experience I've run into a few times in the last several seasons. A few seasons ago I picked up a dragster to bracket race with. It was a typical BBC run on methanol when I got it, and I raced it exactly the way it was, never changed a thing. I had no prior experience with running alcohol. I had good luck with it right off the bat. Anyway after a while it developed a miss. It wasn't terrible, I was still able to race with it. But after checking all the expected things (crank trigger, rotor, wires, wiring, coil, ignition box etc) with no success another experienced alcohol racer asked me if I had changed the plugs. I had changed the plugs recently but it was a short time before the miss developed so I really didn't think the plugs could have anything to do with it. A few mins later he showed up at my trailer with a few boxes of new spark plugs and insisted I change them. He ended up being right... the miss was gone. Since then, it has happened again and a spark plug change was the fix. What he told me was that with alcohol plugs don't seem to last as long as when running gas. Give that a shot. Good luck.
Angelo DiTocco is offline   Reply With Quote