View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 88 Times in 45 Posts
Default Valve seat issues

Have helped a friend with a few of their Flathead Straight-8 and V-12 engines. This one was rebuilt about 2 years ago and has cylinder pressure issues, to the point he removed the head and lapped the valves. It seems all the intake seats (and valves) lapped well. The exhaust seats seem to exhibit an hourglass shape. You can see the dark areas where the lapping compound is not reaching. Some of the exhaust valves had a noticeable cupping when you lay a straight edge against the seat. He said it was running hot but it is with a 1931 factory gauge. It did not use any water on a trip to Texas which was aborted in MO. where he checked compression and returned

I did not see how the shop did the valve job, so I don't know if the block or cutter were moved along. (While the cylinders come off the V-12, this engine must weigh over 800 pounds so I don't see them moving it around easily.) Any idea why the intakes don't exhibit the same issues? If it was cutter induced I'd have guessed all would show the same pattern. Any ideas?
I really, really, really, don't want to disassemble the car and remove this thing again. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve seat IMG_1319.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	35155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve IMG_1323.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	35156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve IMG_1324.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	35157  

Last edited by Bobby DiDomenico; 07-06-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote