View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #45
Don Higgins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Just a follow up on my problems with an Onan 10K generator.

The generator would run for around 30 minutes and shut down. Code was always 36. We checked fuel flow and fuel pump power which was fine. Finally I shook the E1 fuel pump wire on the circuit board connector and it shut off. Checked connector and it was good. Checked the board connections and they were tight.

What is happening is the vibration from the generator is causing a connection issue on the board. Needs a board but they are $800.

So I decided to wire around the fuel pump circuit and put a separate wire to power the pump. If I had more time I would have wired it into the relays already inside the sheet metal but it appears everything is run off grounding not positive signal.

Here is what I did, put a small switch on the dash next to the generator start switch. Pulled power from the lighter circuit and put another fuse in line. Ran the wire down to the generator and connected to the fuel pump wire. So when I start the generator I also flip the switch on the fuel pump circuit. Now runs all day no more problems. Total amount the fix was $15.

When you shut off the generator you just flip the fuel pump circuit off also. Even if you don't it will still shut off.
Don Higgins - Super Comp #360H
Don Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote