Thread: sbc questions
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
BillK

Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Greg,
With the 305 intake and that small cam, I dont think the Q-jet is your limiting factor, almost any Q-jet should be ok.

What I have been seeing with the dirt track guys that I do work for is that although a strong engine is important, the ones that are winning pretty regularly concentrate more on chassis setup and driving. A few years ago we built an engine for one guy in a similar class to yours. He ran it for almost 4 seasons without even a freshen up and had a few wins, top ten in points every year, etc. The engine was probably the only completely legal one at the track, but this guy was anal about keeping records and getting the car set up properly for each race. He was also crazy about maintainance .... every Thursday night he would have the car on jackstands at his garage going over every nut and bolt, checking the valves, checking timing etc. He very rarely had a DNF because of mechanical problems.

Basically, concentrate on the car and dont worry too much about getting every ounce of power from the engine, just make it reliable.

Just my observations,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote