View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #30
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts
Default Re: And the new normal begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lattimore View Post
James----I'm 74, When I started racing in 1961 there were no qualified fields. You had to win your class to race in the eliminator. In the mid 60's at Capital raceway It was nothing unusual to have 30-40 cars in your class at every race. I raced for a year and a half before I won my first heads up round. So I understand completely the exhilaration from looking over in the other lane and see your opponent is heads up. I live for that , I was fortunate enough to race in a time when the car in the other lane was Bobby Warren Charlie Taylor Bud Rowe George Duff the list goes on . ------ I don't have all the answers but I think we need organized class races with all the rules we race under in place. Heads up runs , scales etc. with gamblers race option. Everything is the same as any points race we go to but racers put money in a kitty. There were 200 S/SS cars at Gainsville Points race, if every car opted for the gambler option at say 200.00 that would be a side purse of $40,000 to split up any way you want...You're already there so what's another 200 especially if you're one of the 100 sent away. Barry Parker is working on something along these lines for the New England Class Racers Assn. the week before the Div 1 race at LVR in June ---- This will probably be the most money we've ever raced for with all rules in effect. The toughest will be there with I'm sure plenty of heads up races . They consistently get over 100 Stockers and over 100 S/Stockers.
OK, James is not my name. But, let me offer this up... What if 8 racers showed up at " Grudge Night", put money in the pot and raced "Top/JR Stock" and had a cool trophy/plaque at stakes?
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote