Thread: Engine miss
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Engine miss

Hey there classracer family, I have a problem that I am having a hard time diagnosing and fixing. I have a 1992 Buick Regal 3.8 with a miss. I was hoping it was an ignition control module problem; it would miss and backfire at higher than cruising speed. It would idle and cruise down the road perfect, if I eased into it, she would pick up speed but if I jumped on it, no freaking way, she would miss and backfire really bad. Before I spent up to $200 for a new one, I went to Pick-A-Part and grabbed 2, one from a supercharged, one from a n/a. I changed out for the n/a piece, no difference, then I changed out to the supercharged one, now idle , cruising speed, getting up to cruising speed normally all is great, even jumping on her hard from 45 mph and up she goes like a scalled ape. The problem now is from a dead start, either at idle or stalling, now she spits and sputters, not as bad as before, just feels like light sputter for 2 seconds and then off she goes. Unfort. I can't pull up any codes, when my alternator went out, computer light went out so I can't plug into OBD1 port and count the lights and local auto parts store don't have a way to check OBD1 with there scanners. Has anybody run into this before? I need help quick, I reg. and paid for the Thankgiving Bracket race at The Strip at LVMS. Alternator has been replaced but still no lights. All cylinders are firing great at idle; did the old school method and used a test light to kill each cylinder and all would die when I grounded each cylinder out. Wires are good, I changed the plugs; old ones were in great shape. Could possibly be a loose timing chain, it does have over 200,000 miles.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote