View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Ron Finney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: No park in Powerglide

Ok everyone, I told you I wasn't going to let this one win. Here's the issue and the fix. The problem is these things are old...the plunger shaft gets worn from the hole in the rooster comb and its worn down on one side about 1/2way. Given a little wear in the hole too and you have too much movement to keep the plunger from pushing the tapered end up far enough to fully engage the parking pawl. I thought about Tig welding the shaft, and grinding, but A) it's real small, and B) there is a tiny groove for the e-clip that holds it on.

The Fix. Take the plunger rod off the rooster comb, and mount into a vice. Push the tapered part up against the spring and insert a small E-clip over the shaft. This will hold the taper back slightly and allow the long slender sleeve on the end to rotate easily as well as slide back and forth a smidge. Using a die grinder, take approximately the width of the blade off the end of the small tube by holding the die grinder against the tube while rotating the tube. Go easy so you don't cut into the shaft underneath it rides on. This will allow the tapered part the plunger assembly to move down by the amount you removed.

An easier fix is to purchase a new one if you can find one. I see Sonnax has small parts listed for the glide, and they show the plunger assembly (28111).

Last edited by Ron Finney; 05-13-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: additional info
Ron Finney is offline   Reply With Quote