View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Dragster maintenance

Tweaker

I would suggest that if you buying it turn key that you request to see it make a pass if the car has good MPH the motor is probably OK but there are no guarantees I have seen brand new stuff break on the dyno before ever leaving the shop!
As far a mentor goes I’m in Illinois and Chris is in Washington State so the only help we can offer you is by phone or internet but if you have any more specific questions, I (and probably Chris) will try to help you.
I would suggest that you stick to the more popular (chevy) stuff as it’s cheaper and more readily available than Ford or Mopar performance stuff. (But if ya gotta have a something different well that your preference, just keep in mind it may cost a little more.)
You also might want to look in the NHRA rule book there are a bunch of SFI standards that the car and your protective equipment need to meet and most have expiration dates.
Some of these include the Chassis, the seat belts the Trans shield, the flex plate shield, the flex plate, Balancer your clothing, your helmet, your gloves the hydro test date on the co2 bottle.
If you going to a driving school ask if it’s possible to get a physical first and get your license passes done at the school.