View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #318
lorenr

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Modified Eliminator Wars in the 70's

Nice comment about Terry Hoard. What you've said is pretty much the way I remember his domination of Modified Eliminator. If he was racing, he was probably going to win. NHRA tried altering the Modified Compact index and each time they did it, Hoard would just go faster. NHRA could not keep up.

I happened to be at the Fall Nationals, in Seattle, when Wayne County brought out their B/Gas Opel. The Opel weighed about 2000 lbs. and was powered by a pro stock style 302. A real monster driven by a fellow named, Hutchens. Both cars met in the finals. I think the Opel came out west to end Hoard's domination of the class.

Hoard would leave the line at 14,000 RPM, shifting a Nash 5 speed. What seemed like a "half hour later", Hutchens left and barely caught Hoard. Been to a lot of drag races, but to this day, it was the most amazing drag race I ever witnessed.

I did not know Hoard, but knew of him, also heard he was pretty interesting. I knew a few of the people that provide parts for the Mazda. Mazda also provided some interesting rotary technology.

Someone told me he used a 9" Ford with 7:50 gears, a really short drag tire and an under drive 5 speed to get the car moving. Pretty crazy stuff back then.

Lorenr
lorenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked