View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #26
Ian Hill

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Ken Keir wheelie bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
my good friend with the green small block '69 Camaro could put it on the bumper every pass if he wanted. He doesn't though, rather he tunes the wheelie to weather and track conditions. He doesn't have any weight in the trunk just a chassis/suspension that works nor does he have a wheelie bar.

I'm just informing you that you CAN control/calm the wheelie with what you have as well you can swap in stiffer springs and/or ballast up front.

If you want a wheelie bar go for it.
I am sure when you have 14" of tire touching the track you can easily tune your front shocks, rear shocks, front and rear ballast - tie your car down, you could probabley sit in the passenger seat and it wouldn't make a differance to what your 60 ft would be. I am with 40 Coupe - i have been 38 runs in row on 4 different tracks in 5 different weeks and kept the never changed thedial in (running dead on to the hundredth - except the last run at st thomas -.003 which was a good thing!)...except for three runs. one blew the tires off like i was in the water box (first pass of the morning) and then the same day by-run into the finals same thing, then second qualifier at the next race, was still about an inch off the rear bumper at the 330 hoping that the car would stay straight....the wheelie bars when on the next run, right after i changed my drawers... and have not been off. i no longer wounder if i'll have to start evasive action 1 second after i launch, i can concentrate on the light. i will be installing Santauff 180 springs this spring and a set of their double adjustbale shocks. i am going to try to run this setup and my glide without the bars. i am hoping the car comes up a bit higher with the gluide with the new suspension setup. either way, the wheelie bracket is now permanently mounted to the diff, and the bars come to every race with me.

I am sure there are guys running quicker 60's than me with first gen camaro, 9" tires and are able to the control their wheel stands, i am just not there yet. the tires are normally dead hooked, but the track seems to dictate the amount of birds-eye-view i get!

40 Coupe, the car looks great!
Ian
Ian Hill is offline   Reply With Quote