View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #16
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Dragster maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
What would you say give or take is the average price if you took the motor somewhere to get freshened after the 150 passes or so etc.

And what about other parts like the Transmission? How often do you need to service etc? Etc.

If you stay on top of it you can get 250-300 passes I can't give you a accurate estimate on a complete motor freshen up as I do most of the labor myself but your probably looking at 3K in parts and 3-4 K in labor.

The other stuff:

The transmission I also disassemble every winter but, it usually is in good condition I would recommend you have yours inspected annually.

The torque converter is one item I can't and don't maintain myself I run them to failure or sell them after a couple of years. I know this is not what the Converter builders recommend but spending $300 to have a guy cut your converter open and tell you it's Ok and weld it back together every year or two just doesn't make sense to me because after it's opened and closed it still has the same number of fatigue cycles on the sprag, metal fins and the braze joints and there is a chance that if the clearances have been altered it may work differently.
The brakes I rebuild the calipers and reline them and change the fluid annually.
The ring and pinion I run to failure, the orginal set had more that 300 passes on it and the wear pattern looks fine.(I do flush and change the lube annually)
The slicks will go 150-200 passes (although most people change them every year.)