View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #23
S/ST J718

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 2005 Sunfire. aka Little Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Chief View Post
Well there never seems to be an end to the learning process in life and racing. I have been building my Sunfire over the last 10 years as funds would allow. In 2012 I found what I thought was a really "good deal" on a "freshened up" 406 small block that a local racer had been using for a couple of years so I jumped at the opportunity. Two weeks ago after much anticipation I fired her up with the help of Mr. W only to find out the little motor had several hidden issues. After the engine was taken apart we found it does not have the camshaft claimed, it has a bad cylinder head,the bearings were at least 5 to 6 years old in 2012,has one damaged piston, and one spun rod bearing. This latest issue will probably set me back a year or two but the lessons learned are invaluable. I know most of you know about buying used race engines but please be aware not all is as promised. Monte
Story's like this are not uncommon , buying any used items is a risky deal. I myself have a engine that was a freshen deal that ended up with only had good rod's and pistons and block. I was lucky as I knew this going in and had all other parts I needed at the time . Monte I feel your pain , hope your set back does not kill your desire. Great Luck with the build its only a matter of time. This is one great looking car......