View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #591
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kershaw View Post
I think this thread may have jumped the shark along the way but I thought I’d weigh in anyway.

Sealed crate engines have been proposed to NHRA several times recently for inclusion in Super Stock. There was some interest but it came down to how to accurately rate them. It needs to be low enough the cars can qualify at national events but it would be unfair to rate them so low that they can run to the top of the qualifying sheet. This is where it got hung up.

Personally I think a sealed class for SS/GT would be a good thing. Ford and Chevy both have sealed engines along with the electronics to run them. Dodge might as well but I haven’t checked, if they don’t it’d be easy enough to do. It is very cost effective and reliable at ~$8k for engine and controller with most racers getting hundreds of runs without issues. Plus the aftermarket support for these engine platforms (Coyote&LS) is huge so putting it in most popular platforms would be fairly straight forward and maybe you get some new contingency sponsors. This has worked well for NMRA and NMCA racers in a heads-up format and have no doubt it would work in a SS format as well.
Not really what this thread is about. This is about NHRA adopting the now defunct IHRA only classes. Pure Stock GT Stock and Crate motor Stock. No one has brought up the SS production classes from IHRA yet.