View Single Post
Old 01-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #16
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Ol' Fart's Firebird Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Okay, I remember the article, and your driver...somewhat...but what is or was her full name, and yours?

Oh ,and let's get this out of the way right now:

OK, I think I can explain all this. My name is Don Hurst. They named a shifter after me.

My wife goes by her initials, which are T & J. She doesn't like her real name that much, so everybody has just called her TJ now for about 40 years. She just said "But I'm not really that old."

Now, about Freddie: Back in the old days, most people named their car. So TJ named her car "Easy Lovin". She designed all the numbers and lettering herself, and cut them out of Mylar decal material. That name came from the Freddie Hart song by the same name. It was one of her favorite songs back then. In fact, it was a lot of people's favorite song. If the online info is correct, the song won top country song of the year in both 1971 and 1972. It was #1 on the country charts for 3 weeks, even reached as high as #17 on the Billboard chart.

And as you can imagine, it got a lot of air time on the radio, on both pop and country stations. TJ just said she even remembers it being played over the PA system at some of the tracks where we raced.

So, when people saw that name on her car, they all could relate it to that song.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1859.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	26886  

Last edited by oldskool; 01-17-2015 at 11:35 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote