View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Competetive 4-cylinders in Comp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen Gary View Post
The engine can't be moved more than 10% of the wheelbase from stock. Also, SS/EX was introduced for All Motor Import cars. I'm sure Art could tell you about how much you have to do to the front fenders that would make it not resemble stock. SS/EX would be a lot more freindly in that area as well as the wt break is .5 lighter. Thats 60 lbs in your car, only .30 index diff.
The big difference in the EX class is it has to remain FWD.
I had a problem with NHRA a couple of years ago. I had aftermarket fiberglass fenders (which are allowed in my class). Nobodys makes a racing (lightweight) fender for a neon, so I bought a set of street fenders. They had loovers in them (like the Z cars).
I run all the inners fenders, so there was absolutly no air stream advantage. I ran them for 2 years without any problems. But when I ran at the E'town national race. I was told they were not legal. That I had to replace them before I could race again, letters stating that were sent to all division directors, and myself.
I could have just bondo'd the holes up and stuck a decal over them. But I went to my trusty computer, went on ebay and bought a pair of steel replacement fenders. I also bought a different fiberglass hood (my old one with the Hemi scoop cost me 1 to 2 mph)
I bought a LPHV spray gun at Harbor Freight. And some paint at Pep Boys. And learned how to paint a little.
The replacement fenders were each 6 pounds lighter than the fiberglass ones were. So I had to get a bigger battery to make up the difference.