View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #43
Adam Strang

Liked 85 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: First Divisional or National event stories

I started racing in '92 and my first divisional was '95 nothing too memorable so I'll share my first race west of the Mississippi in 2015. May of that year Gene Monahan got a new camper and decides he's going to do a bucket list trip and go to Vegas and Pomona at the end of the year and I said I'd go along clear it with work got a whole month off for the trip. Get the bright idea to build a new motor for the trip get it all together go to the dyno spin a rod bearing by that time it's too late to fix that motor for the trip,guess I'm making the trip with my tried and true TRW motor,runs good but nothing to write home about. Gene and I head out the Saturday before the Vegas race ,I'd never been west of the Mississippi before and once you get past Oklahoma City the land starts to change so from there on out my head is swinging all over looking at the landscape and taking pictures.

Make it to Vegas,the first pass the car was pretty slow so I went back took some weight out and turned up the two step for class. It was me and Andy Kimball and he had me covered, figure I'll go up there and get my butt whipped the tree comes down we take off row thru the gears and look up and I'm ahead, look at the score board ,ok no red light, he's at my door and creeping on me but runs out of track and I win class! On to the Eliminator I win first and second round, third round is after dark,I like racing at night that's how I started racing at Napierville on Saturday nights. Have MickeyAlley we both pre stage and I bump in to light the stage bulb and then stare at the bottom bulb, I'm leaving first I'm waiting for the tree to come down and nothing is happening so I look up and the stage bulb is out the car had rolled back when I pushed the clutch all the way in. Too late the red light came on and I was done. Got back to my pit spot and Gene says you just drove 3000 miles with your head swinging all around looking at everything and now you couldn't look up and see the light was out. We laughed,I loaded my stuff up and me,Gene Monahan, Billy Nees and Doug Chervanik went to Fremont St. for Halloween. That's an experience you'll never forget!

Last edited by Adam Strang; 04-07-2020 at 06:42 AM.
Adam Strang is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked