View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #45
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,452 Times in 1,956 Posts
Default Re: Dumbo The Flying Elephant

I spilled it, but I did buy a small funnel that fits the burette.

Yesterday was recording day in the "Dumbo" engine book. The engine I got came in several boxes, for me its the only way to get one. Most boxes have the brand name and part numbers. This make replacement parts hunting easier. Other parts are in plane white or brown wrappers without part numbers. Such was case with the spring seats for the head. Exhaust and intake have different seats, valves are not the same length. So I make a drawing of each in case I can't find a vendor. If push comes to shove I will be able to find some in some bar stock.

Since I had the heads out I would see how well the seats fit. They almost fit but would not set flat against the head. The problem was the OD of the chamfer was not large enough to have clearance over the radius on the head. Solution cut chamfer 1/64 bigger than the chamfer on the guide boss. I was surprised as to how soft and easy the spring seats machined.

I wonder how much unwanted aluminum the seats would have shaved of heads and put in the oil?

Last edited by Larry Hill; 04-23-2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: change retainers to spring seats
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote