View Single Post
Old 03-18-2024, 03:51 PM   #63
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,827 Times in 1,531 Posts
Default Re: combo killers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bennett View Post
Probably an unpopular opinion and I have no skin in the game other than loving stock and super stock since the first race I ever attended back in the 60s.

The NHRA has successfully run a scam that turned a performance class into a bracket class. So many here want to be able to win races solely with shoe polish instead of just being the fastest car at the track.

I'll admit my viewpoint is probably concentrated in those of a certain age - where going to one of the few nationals on the schedule had me standing in awe looking at a car with 'national record holder" painted on - and even more so when there was a string of years listed. No, it didn't matter what class it was. It was motivation for me to recognize the skills involved and to work that much harder to get closer to that status.

I will always admire the racer who does what ever they can to be the best and then maximizes their investment and enjoys that every pass down the track.

Somehow this whole thing of "they have more money than me" and "I don't have a chance to win" seems a lot like that process.

4. Build a combo which fits into a class that doesn't have dozens of cars in it and own it!

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked