View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #21
63corvette

Liked 279 Times in 87 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bailey View Post
Being a retired UPS mechanic and seeing my fair share of trl bearings ....going to Timken is a great move.
Then get you a temp gun... and after an hour or so of towing pull over , in a safe area of course .... shoot the temp of all tire tread surface and side wall and then shoot the hubs ... record all info and then analyze .... This can tell you a lot about your load placement and maybe where to move the load around to equalize temps and weight on each tire.
you can also test with an empty trailer to see the big picture !

Hope this helps !

Rick
I have a temp gun just never did shoot the bearings.
We stop every few hours of travel and I always just feel the tires and bearings caps with my hands. In the summer the tires are pretty hot to the touch but that was what I expected in the hot summer days running on the hot pavement.
When we go out next time I will have the temp gun in the cab with me and do just as you suggested.
It may be interesting when I look at the results as the high temps on our next trip should be close to 100 degrees in the afternoon.
This has to be one of the best places to ask questions as you get some very good suggestions and answers to issues with all the experience on the site.
Thanks to all.
Rick Cates
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote