Old 07-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #24
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63corvette View Post
First update on the issue.
I have the front axle completely rebuilt. New hubs, new brakes, new Timken USA made bearings.
I relocated the storage in the attic so the weight would be in the center of the trailer.
One thing I noticed after rebuilding the axle I had the trailer up in the front about 2 inches to get some weight off the front axle when working on it. When putting up tools and all I noticed that the trailer was more stable when walking into and out of it with the front up just that 2 inches.
I visited the trailer sales place today and asked about that or if I was just reaching. The owner told me there if the front is up it should balance the load a little more to the back end of the trailer with a spring type triple axle.
I have always pulled the trailer with it very level on my driveway which is also very level.
The trailer sales owner suggested I try pulling it this next time with the 2 inches up in the front and see what happens. My next step on the hitch is 2 1/4 inches so that is what I am going to try.
I am also going to check the tire and bearing temps ever couple of hours while traveling next week on a 550 mile trip. I am hoping that the temps tell me something about the balance on the trailer.
I will be posting more updates as we take our trip.
Thanks again for everyone that posted suggestions.
All were thoughtful and I appreciate them.
Rick Cates
Typically trailers do not like being higher in the front than the rear. It usually makes them more unstable and sway more. Level would be best. I had one bearing on my trailer that kept failing. Never really figured out what the issue was. New tires have helped with that issue. Its always the outer bearing that fails due to it being the smaller one. None of the other positions have given me any problem. 40 ft goose w 3 axles. Mine is the road side center that gives me grief.