View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
Dano

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Default Re: TH 400 1st gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Feiock View Post
A couple observations about your posts,
1) In your first post, you mention 5:14 rear gear. That's a bunch of rear gear for a car that should hit 125 MPH. You are going to need a really good BBC.
2) You stated that you already have the converter. The converter should be the last thing you buy, built to the finished engine/transmission/rear gear/tire combination.
3) There is a lot more to converters than stall. "K" factor, lock up potential, plus fin and stator design are all factors in the converters performance.
4) If you already have a real Kilgore, you already have an "expensive" transmission.
5) If you are looking at Coan, you are looking at an "expensive" transmission.
6) If your transmission was just open and your transmission guy could not tell what ratio was in it...well to be blunt, you need a better transmission guy.
7) If you have a real Kilgore, he has multiple ratios available.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and not be confused with facts or snobbishness.
In response if I may....
1) car runs 122 mph with old converter
2) Converter matched to all you've mentioned
3) Above my pay grade right now
4) This I know
5) Coan is on the way (when referring to "expensive" I consider $ 6500.00 and up to be expensive)
6) You are correct
7) Again, you are correct

Disclaimer: When advised to get rid of my Motorhome Transmission, yes I considered that "snobby". Most of the replies I got were considerate/helpful as yours was.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote