View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Class Nationals event planning

Quite honestly, already looking at National Trail Raceway. Been studying on doing a No-Box/Footbrake and/or a door-car only Box race there for quite awhile, but I don't think the region is strong enough for any one of them to stand on its own at this time. I've done my homework on cost, availability, weather history, etc.,, already have a comfort level with much of the staff, and we have a lot of "support group" close by in the form of potential sponsor/advertising partners, I will threaten Nitro Joe to be there, etc. Whatever reputation Columbus once had, I think it is quickly turning around with two *very* good events this year between the LODRS and Sportsnationals. With a couple more repeat good experiences in the coming year, I think it can once again be a place to which people can look forward to going.

All that being said, I'd like to concentrate on the format of the event primarily. A given venue does have a particular draw, but I believe that the event and promotion weigh heavily on the scales: There's been some great ideas run at some great tracks that just never worked, for one reason or another. First and foremost, people have to care. There are certainly a number of awesome supertracks out there: Norwalk, MIR, Bristol, etc, but then you have uphill battles with scheduling and rental costs. With location, a race in one person's backyard is necessarily not in someone else's. There are a large number of variables to consider.

I'm leaving in the morning to handle our $20K Footbrake event at Coastal Plains this weekend, so I'll be out of the loop for awhile, but in the meantime, please feel free to throw a bunch of schtuff at the wall and we'll see what sticks.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited by Michael Beard; 11-22-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Michael Beard is offline   Reply With Quote