View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #26
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdr View Post
Rick,
I saw that you were in Topeka. How did the trailer toe? How were the temps? I would think that getting a little weight off the front (problem) axle could be good.
Dan
Dan I did make it to Topeka and back home now and did not have any problems.
Trailer towed just fine with it about 3 inches up front to back. I had it basically level in the past.
Being retired we do not have to hurry back home so we traveled on Monday.
On the way home we traveled in rain off and on all day so I did not get to take the temps on the bearings and tires. I did not think they would tell me much anyway with the rain and cooling it provided.

I did take temps going to Topeka on Tuesday with the ambient temps running from 88 degrees on my first stop to 99 degrees on my last stop before arriving at Topeka.
One thing I did note is the tire temps are 20 to 30 degrees higher if the tires are running on the sunny side of the trailer versus the shade side of the trailer. That is something I did not expect.

The curb side bearings run 10 to 20 degrees higher than the road side and if the tire is hotter in the sun it seems to transfer to the bearings also and then the curb side bearings can be as much as 30 to 40 degrees higher than the road side. The temps seemed to balance side to side a little if the road side tires ran in the sun.

The highest bearing temp I recorded was 145 degrees and the highest tire temp I recorded was 154 degrees.
The highest bearing temp was from the center axle curb side and the highest tire temp
was the front axle curb side running in the sun for several hours.

I believe the balance of the load and lowering the tongue weight and the raising the trailer on the front is the key.

One other thing I did find when rebuilding the front axle I found the curb side which I had packed annually but it had its original bearings the outer bearing race was smooth but it was discolored. It did not look like it had been hot it just had a grey color only where the bearing rollers ran. It just looked strange to me and something I had not seen before.

I plan on taking the temps again on the next trip. I am just not sure when that will be.
Thanks to everyone who commented and made suggestions.
I appreciate all the knowledge on this site and hope I can contribute to others issues in the future as some of you have done for me.
Thanks again,
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote