View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 11:54 PM   #27
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: 1957 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Chevy View Post
Well my brother was anal about keeping the car as stock as possible kinda something I am slowly learning to overcome. The car was not even tubbed!He suffered for it both in hard labour and a slower car. The next '55 he built(early eighties) indeed had a Dana 60 w/6.50's and I don't think he ever had the cover off it but he is long since retired from racing.
The gear ratio in my combination which is the 265 single four barrel needs to be no less than 6.20 with some apparently running as low as 7.17.

Allan
The first TurboGlides appeared in 1957 (not 1958) sedans and hardtops. and were generally available through the 1961 model year. Not all engines were available with this transmission, but I think most V8's were. It featured a compicated internal planetary geartrain that gave 3 separate ratios for accelleation, with no actual "gear shifting." When one planetary could no longer accellerate the car (turning too fast) it would simply "overrun" on its sprag, and the next higher ratio would take over (since it was already pulling, all the time.) I think the planetary gearsets were something like 2.5:1 and 1.5:1.... not sure about the exact ratios. The engine would wind up to about 3,500 rpm at stall, and stay at that rpm until it ran out of breath (the transmission) and then the engine rpm would begin to increase along with the vehicle speed.
Buick had a very similar transmission called "Triple Turbine Dynaflow," during the same period of time.

Last edited by bill dedman; 08-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.
bill dedman is offline   Reply With Quote