Thread: 1957 150
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #26
55 Chevy

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: 1957 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss wannabee View Post
Softer "modern" clutch set-up may help extend rear-end life in 10-bolt over what your brother experienced...but if he builds stick car...ONLY a 12-bolt should be used in the '57.

Your brother should have used a Dana in the conditions you mentioned!

IMHO...the '57 150 being not that heavy, and the smaller carb(s) limiting rpm a bit (depending on which combo he ends up with ), the gear ratio wouldn't have to be that "steep", and tire diameter/gear would be sorted out in testing. If considering to keep the car original and running AUTO TRANS, I still think the early 10-bolt has a chance but to be practical...you'd have to be able to do most of the work yourself . Mike T. makes some good points too.....
Well my brother was anal about keeping the car as stock as possible kinda something I am slowly learning to overcome. The car was not even tubbed!He suffered for it both in hard labour and a slower car. The next '55 he built(early eighties) indeed had a Dana 60 w/6.50's and I don't think he ever had the cover off it but he is long since retired from racing.
The gear ratio in my combination which is the 265 single four barrel needs to be no less than 6.20 with some apparently running as low as 7.17.

Allan
55 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote